Sunday, October 17, 2010

Color

I started painting again. I can't even explain how good it felt. Painting is a way for me to release my emotions..to let my creativity flow.. It is a safe place.

I wanted to take my canvas and paints and drive downtown until I found a peaceful spot. I must paint in a place where I am alone and feel free.

I cannot paint in my bedroom or in a house unless I am near a big, open window. But instead of taking the drive I went outside to the deck by the pool and faced away from the sun, thus allowing the sun to hit the painting. It was perfect. I was alone. I had music playing in my ears. The sun was warm on my back.

It is always hard for me to start, especially when the canvas is blank. I usually cover the canvas in a color of paint just to get things flowing. This day however I wanted to finish a painting that I had started but had been unable to return to for a long time.

It began to flow and it felt so good. I could feel the tension ease slowly from my body. My head began to clear. I began to see in color and shape instead of black and white.

I never have an idea in mind as I sit down to paint, but I usually have a color. I start there. This day.. I was thinking in shades of blue.

The brush dipped in color flows down the canvas in a sexy line. There is nothing prettier than that first stroke. I love to mix the colors and watch them blend. This is my favorite part. I never plan to finish. I let the painting tell me when it is done.

On this day, I finished.

1 comment:

  1. Crystal! I loved that - and can so identify with much of it!
    My 'safe place' is, of course, when I'm writing: my own little world...
    At moment am sitting at desk in bedroom, desk chair turned away from desk, feet propped up on end of bed, blinds open to emerging autumnal glory...
    Earlier was in laundry room on folder with feet propped on laundry basket.
    Never know when or where 'safe place' will reveal itself...
    Keep posting. Very well done!
    XX,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete